Missing Resident Student Notification Policy & Procedure
The Mesarya Technical University takes student safety very seriously. To this end, and in compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the purpose of this policy is to provide procedures for reporting, investigating and making emergency notifications regarding any residential student of MTU who, based on the facts and circumstances known to MTU, has been determined to be missing.
For purposes of this policy, a residential student of MTU is a student who is currently enrolled and resides in on-campus housing or in privately owned Greek housing on campus.
1.Student Contact Information
Residential students have the opportunity to identify an individual who will be contacted by MTU not later than 24 hours after the time that the student is determined to be missing. The contact person may be a parent, legal guardian or other person of the student’s choosing, except if the student is under 18 years of age and is not emancipated, MTU must notify a parent or legal guardian not later than 24 hours after the time that the student is determined to be missing. Student contact information is held confidential and is accessible only to authorized MTU officials and law enforcement involved in a missing person investigation. Students living in MTU residence halls can register their confidential contact information, or make any changes to previously registered information, through Residence Life and Student Housing. Students residing in Greek housing can register their confidential contact information through the Greek Life Office of MTU Student Activities Center. Students are responsible for ensuring that their contact information is up-to-date and accurate.
2. Missing Student Notification Procedures
MTU students, employees or other individuals who have reason to believe that a residential student is missing should immediately report their concerns to the MTU Police Department. If the Residence Life and Student Housing Office, Greek Life Office or other department receives a report of a missing student, MTU Police Department should be notified immediately. The MTU Police Department will, as appropriate, engage staff from Residence Life and Student Housing and other MTU departments in immediate efforts to locate the student.
These efforts may include but are not limited to:
• Contacting the student via his or her telephone and/or email.
• Checking the student’s residence; determining if the student has been in class or used his or her MTU ID card.
• Checking with roommates, friends and others who may have relevant information.
If these efforts are unsuccessful in locating the student, MTU Police Department will inform the Dean of Students that the student is missing and the following will occur:
• The Dean of Students, or designee, will notify the student’s designated missing person contact within 24 hours of being informed by MTU Police Department that the student is missing.
• If the missing student is under the age of 18 and is not emancipated, the Dean of Students, or designee, will notify the student’s custodial parent or legal guardian within 24 hours of being informed by MTU Police Department that the student is missing.
• MTU Police Department will notify any other law enforcement agencies, as appropriate, for purposes of coordinating the investigation and continuing efforts to locate the student.
• The Dean of Students will initiate actions deemed appropriate under the circumstances in the best interest of the missing student. For example, contacting the student’s instructors may occur if necessary or beneficial in the situation to the student and/or instructors.
3.Notification of Policy
Students will receive notification of this Policy annually through its inclusion in the Mesarya Technical University Annual Security Report and as part of the housing registration process for residential students.