– Policy 1000: MTU History, Mission, and Organization
Date Originally Issued: October 21, 2019
Process Owner: University Rector
From time to time, University faculties and departments are called upon to provide general information about the University in the recruitment of faculty, staff, or students. Outlined below is some very general information about the University which may be helpful.
- History of the Mesarya Technical University
The Mesarya Technical University was created by cap 113 act of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) in 2016, and will begin began full-term instruction on September 2020. The main campus is under construction in Mora Village, near Ercan International Airport, Northern Cyprus (TRNC) is comprised of 3,000,000m2 leased land, and will have purpose build 10 structures by the end of 2023.The branch campus is at the center of old city of Nicosia with 4 buildings and will be used for incoming freshmen students until the construction of main campus will be completed.
In creating the University, the founders designated it as the private University whose object is to “provide the inhabitants of the state of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) and the world with the means of acquiring a thorough knowledge of the various branches of literature, science, arts, agriculture, and health science.”
The Mesarya Technical University has been fully approved by the YODAK of the Northern Cyprus (TRNC) since 2018 and expecting to have permission to start teaching and candidacy for accreditation permission not later than August 2020. Following YODAK’s permission to start teachingMTU will be recognized by an extensive list of accrediting organizations in many fields before the first enrolment starts in 2020-2021 academic year.
2.3. The University Today
Today, the University has completed its formation od technical and academically organization stage and will be one of a kind institutions of post-secondary education in Mediterranean region. The Total furcatedenrolment in coming ten years at The Mesarya Technical University undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs will exceed 10,000 students.
- Mission of the Mesarya Technical University
The mission of The Mesarya Technical University is to serve the educational needs of the citizens of the Northern Cyprus (TRNC) state, and world. This mission involves four (4) interrelated dimensions:
(1) The University develops and offers comprehensive educational programs at the Associate, Bachelor inthe first four years and after the fourth year there will be Master, and Doctoral levels in a wide range of academic, professional, and occupational fields.
(2) The University, a designated research university, conducts research and engages in scholarly and other creative activities to support undergraduate, graduate, and professional educational programs, and to create, interpret, apply, and accumulate knowledge.
(3) The University contributes to the quality of life in Northern Cyprus by providing selected services to the public that are part of, contribute to, or originate from the University’s teaching and scholarly activity programs.
(4) The University Health Sciences Centre is a valuable resource to Northern Cyprus. Added value is provided to health care through leadership in providing innovative, collaborative education; advancing the frontiers of science through research critical to the future of health care; delivering health care services that are at the forefront of science; and facilitating partnerships with public and private biomedical and health enterprises.
- Administrative Organization
The Rector of the University is appointed by The Mesarya Technical University Board of Trustee and is directly responsible to them. As the chief executive officer of the institution, the Rector directs the administration in carrying out University policy, and has the authority to assign and reassign administrative duties.